Thursday, June 24, 2010

Now for a more detailed post.

Last week a lightning bolt killed the internet, so I've been getting more and more homesick daily without being able to contact people at home. Thankfully it's back.

It is winter here, and apparently the flu is going around. I'm glad I knew what it was, because then I didn't worry when I had a fever for two days. It was pretty miserable, as I had some pretty inconsiderate roommates at the time (staying up late, leaving the light on while sleeping, reading til 1am with the light on... blah). Oh well. These things happen. I spent Saturday alternating between bed and hammock all day, hoping someone would visit me, but it didn't happen. Sunday morning I woke up at 5:18 (and mistakenly woke up said roommates thinking it was 7, when they had wanted to get up! Oops, it was 7 in NY time...). I was wide awake, so I decided to slow poke it to the Istian River.

I left at 6:45AM, and brought my rain jacket in case I got cold. I ended up putting it on to protect myself from the sun even though I was really warm. I saw bats, lots of gorgeous birds (yes, I forgot my camera...I may go again tomorrow!), lots of big turtles, and 4 CAYMANS!!! ! Yessssssss! I saw Caymans!!!! Whoooo! They're like mini crocodiles, about 4ft long. It was sweet. I was about 4 feet away from them, too. It was really cool. I was playing a bit, too, pulling the kayak up and over some fallen logs to try to get further up the river. Adventuring is fun. :)

I moseyed back watching cormorants and egrets and other awesome birds, and people doing laundry in the lake. On the way, I wondered why I saw a speedboat heading toward me (I was really close to shore), and saw that it was from the Hacienda. It was Byron, worried about me! He said I was taking too long (it's usually a 2-3 hour trip, and by now it was 10:30!) and they were worrying because I was alone and not feeling well. I told him not to worry, because I just go slow when I'm sick. So he headed back and I moseyed along some more.

I got back, had lunch, and got bored again, so I visited my dear friend that gave me gripe. She wasn't home yet, so I chilled talking to her parents and little siblings (one is a student of mine, one of my jokesters :) ). When she got there, though, we had a good laugh about the two girls with gripe.

I stayed for awhile chatting, and they were making a roost for the chickens. A few years ago National Geographic filmed a special on vampire bats, and it's true that they feed on chickens. They suck the blood from their legs, where they can't feel it.

They walked me back, and my little guy was calling me 'mother.' He's funny though, because he's nine, so I suggested 'sister.' They sure do feel like my siblings. :) I'm going to be sad to leave my students in just two days. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment